Weight Management & Calories
For more information on weight management and calorie topics, try these links to other Federal government websites:
Do you know if you are at a healthy weight, underweight, overweight, or obese? Enter your weight and height into the Body Mass Index (BMI) calculator to find out your current weight status.
- Are you overweight or obese? The advice in this section can help you make changes to achieve a healthier weight.
- Are you at a healthy weight, but looking for ways to prevent weight gain? Small changes, like those discussed in this section, can help you make choices that prevent weight gain over time.
- Are you underweight? This site is designed for people trying to prevent excess weight gain, lose weight, or maintain weight loss. Being underweight also is a health risk. If you are classified as underweight, consult with your doctor to determine why you are underweight and learn what you can do to move toward a healthier weight.
Children and adolescents: The advice in this section is for adults. Because children and adolescents are growing, their BMI is plotted on growth charts for sex and age. You can learn more about BMIs for children and adolescents, and determine your child's weight status using the BMI calculator. If your child is overweight or obese, consult a health care provider to determine appropriate weight management for him or her.
Are you looking for an online tool to help you reach your body weight goals? The SuperTracker is that tool! It can…
- track what you currently eat and drink
- give you a personalized plan for what you should eat and drink
- guide you to make better choices
Check out the SuperTracker to learn more!
Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2010
Policy document and other related information
More information about the Dietary Guidelines
2008 Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans
76-page scientific document
Weight-control Information Network (WIN) – an information service of the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK) www.win.niddk.nih.gov