It is okay for your preschooler to have quiet time.
Here are some tips for making sure your preschooler is not inactive too often:
- Limit TV and screen time to less than 2 hours daily, as recommended by theAmericanAcademy of Pediatrics.
- Try to make inactive time reading time rather than TV time.
- Quiet time is best before naps or bed.
As a parent, you have an impact on your preschooler's behaviors and activities. Be a role model and try to limit your own time spent sitting, such as watching TV. Your preschooler will learn that being physically active is part of a healthy life.
- After 60 minutes of inactivity (such as watching TV) have your child get up and do something active for a while.
- Avoid having the TV on during mealtimes.
- Only put TVs in family rooms. Don't put a TV in your child's bedroom. This helps your preschooler spend less time watching TV.
Learn more about how too much TV time may lead to childhood obesity.