Develop Healthy Eating Habits
Start with Small Portions
Offer your preschooler small, easy-to-eat amounts to make eating easy and more enjoyable.
- Use smaller bowls, plates, and utensils for your child to eat with.
- Don't insist that children finish all the food on their plate. Let your child know it's okay to only eat as much as he or she wants at that time.
- As children are able, allow them to serve themselves.
- Even your 3 to 5 year old can practice serving from small bowls that you hold for them. They'll learn new skills and feel "all grown up."
- Teach them to take small amounts at first. Tell them they can get more if they are still hungry.
- Serve foods that are "too hot" for your child to serve themselves safely (for example, soups). Ask your child how much they want. Make sure food isn't too hot for children to eat.
More on Healthy Eating Habits: