Foods to Avoid
Some foods are more likely to cause foodborne illness.
Avoid serving your preschooler the following foods:
- Unpasteurized (raw) milk or any products made from unpasteurized milk.
- Raw or partially cooked eggs or food containing raw eggs.
- Raw or undercooked meat, poultry, fish and shellfish. Click here for a list of safe minimum internal temperatures.
- Unpasteurized juices. Learn more about unpasteurized juices.
- Raw sprouts.
- Unwashed fruits or vegetables.
Some seafood has high levels of mercury. Learn more about serving seafood to your preschooler. Check with your doctor or registered dietitian if you have questions or concerns.