Daily Food Plans
Daily Food Plan for Preschoolers
Use the Plan as a general guide to help you feed your child. It will show what and how much to offer your child to meet his or her needs.
Do not be concerned if your preschooler does not eat the exact amounts suggested. Each child's needs may differ from the average, and appetites can vary from day to day. Try to balance the amounts over a few days or a week. Your child’s doctor can track his or her height and weight over time to identify specific needs.
While the amount eaten daily may vary, the average amounts over time should be similar to this plan. Food plans are based on average needs by age and activity level. Your preschooler's food needs also depend on how fast he or she is growing and other factors.
- Put the Plan into action with meal and snack ideas.
- Offer different foods from day to day. Encourage your child to choose from a variety of foods.
- Serve foods in small portions at scheduled meals and snacks.
- Choose healthy snacks for your preschooler.
- Beverages count, too. Make smart beverage choices.
Limit the amount of empty calories (solid fats & added sugars) you feed your preschooler. To keep sodium low, choose and prepare foods with little or no salt. Use the SuperTracker to find the amount of sodium and empty calories in your meals.